Delhi University started its successful journey with three colleges namely St Stephens, Hindu and Ramjas. But after the independence in 1947 the administration of DU decided to spread its wings all over the city. Many private and government colleges set up in the city wanted affiliation with the University of Delhi and hence its importance grew.
Looking at the number of colleges wanting to associate with DU, the whole city was divided into 2 campuses – North Campus and South Campus
The location where University of Delhi is actually situated was named as the North Campus while South Campus made its beginning in 1973.
North Campus runs various undergraduate and graduate courses while South Campus hosts master degree or post graduate courses.